Selling my working Apogee Alta U32 CCD camera. I'm finding out that I don't have the time to dedicate to mono imaging any more.
I've attached screenshots of recent Bias and Dark (600 sec) frames taken at -25C. The camera cools very nicely to that temperature. You can see a slight column defect on the very righthand side of the frame, but it calibrates out without any trouble. The chamber was recently Argon purged and the desiccant swapped out.
A couple of notes from my personal experience:
* It is super sensitive - more so than some of the current mono CMOS cameras.
* The KAF-3200ME is a linear CCD and does not have the anti-blooming gate. Very high QE, great for actual science, but you can get blooming on bright stars pretty easily.
* It's built like a tank - very solid. Make sure your setup can handle the 3.1lbs 🙂
Any questions, please ask. Thanks for looking!
Manufacturer description (not mine):
Apogee High Performance Cooled CCD Camera System ALTA U32 2184x1472 6.8u USB CAMERA CLASS 2, D01F-VS25D-U03200-MM2A
The Alta U32 has a 3-megapixel Kodak Blue Plus full-frame sensor with very high quantum efficiency and excellent dynamic range. Low noise and small pixels are ideal for OEMs and microscopy.
- 2184 x 1472 array, 6.8 x 6.8 micron pixels
- 7 MHz 12-bit and 1 MHz 16-bit digitization
- 32 Mbyte camera memory
- Fast focus mode: multiple subframes per second
- USB 2.0 interface: no plug in cards or external controllers
- Programmable, intelligent cooling to 50C below ambient
- Binning up to 10 Horizontal x 1472 Vertical
- Subarray readout and fast sequencing modes
- Precision time delayed integration readout
- Programmable fan speed for low / zero vibration
- Two serial port outputs for control of peripheral devices
- General purpose programmable I/O port
- External triggering and strobe controls
- ActiveX drivers and MaxIm DL/CCD software included with every system
- Field upgradeable firmware
- Self-test capability with data simulators
- Fused silica windows
- Runs from single 12V supply with input voltage monitor
- Compact enclosure
- Programmable status indicators
MaxIm DL/CCD and CCDSoft software packages are offered at special prices when purchased at the same time as a camera system.
- CCD: KAF-3200ME
- Array Size (pixels): 2184 x 1472
- Pixel size: 6.8 x 6.8 microns
- Imaging area: 14.85 x 10.01 mm (148.7 mm2)
- Imaging diagonal: 17.91 mm
- Linear Full Well (typ.): 55,000 e-
- Dynamic Range: 77 dB
- QE @ 400 nm: 53%
- Peak QE (610 nm): 86%
Camera System Performance
- PC Interface: USB 2.0
- Max. cable length: 5 meters between hubs; 5 hubs maximum (max. total of 30m)
- Digital resolution: 12 bits at 7 MHz and 16 bits at 1 MHz
- System Noise (typ.): 2 counts at 7 MHz; 8 e- RMS at 1 MHz
- Pixel Binning: 1x1 to 10 x 1472 on-chip
- Exposure Time: 10 milliseconds to 183 minutes (2.56 microsecond increments)
- Image Sequencing: 1-65535 image sequences under software control
- Frame Sizes: Full frame, subframe, focus mode
- Cooling: Thermoelectric cooler with forced air. Maximum cooling 50 degree C below ambient temperature
- Temperature Stability: +/- 0.1 degree C
- Dark Current (typ.): 0.05 e-/pixel/sec (-30 degree C)
- Camera Head: Standard: D1; Low profile: D5. Aluminum, hard blue and black anodized. 6" x 6" x 2.1" (15 x 15 x 6.25 cm). Weight: 3.1 lb. (1.4 kg)
- Mounting: 3.5" bolt circle, 8-32 thread. C-mount (1ý 32 tpi thread). Optional Nikon or Canon lens mount.
- Back focal distance: Standard: 0.69ý (1.75 cm). Low profile: 0.46" (1.22 cm) [optical]
- Operating Environment: Temperature: -22 degree to 27 degree C. Relative humidity: 10 to 90% noncondensing
- Cable length: Standard: 15 ft. (4.5m)
- Power: 40W maximum power with shutter open and cooling maximum. Power supplied by AC/DC "brick" supply with international AC input plug. Alternate 12V input for userýs source.
- Shutter: Standard: Vincent 25mm. Low profile: no shutter.
- Remote Triggering: LVTTL input to camera allows exposure start within 25 microseconds of rising edge of trigger
Filed under: Eyepieces & Accessories