Optolong Oxygen III / O-III Narrowband (6.5nm) Nebula CCD Filter - 1.25"
Description Ordering Info USA Shipping International Orders Returns Our eBay Store
1. PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
A. About Optolong's O-III (6.5nm) FIlter
The Optolong O-III (Oxygen-III) extra-narrowband filter is designed to improve the visibility of various deep sky objects. It does this by:
- Selectively reducing the transmission of wavelengths of light pollutants, specifically those produced by artificial lighting (including mercury vapor lamps, both high & low pressure sodium vapor lights, and the unwanted natural light caused by neutral oxygen emission in our atmosphere (i.e. skyglow)).
- Allowing only 6.5nm bandwidth of light centered on a wavelength of 500nm to pass through, which corresponds to OIII emission lines.
This is a blue-green colored filter as OIII emits 495.9nm and 500.7nm. Many images of planetary nebulae and supernova remnants are taken only with H-alpha and OIII filters. They show great structural details, but have natural colors, looking like an RGB image.
B. Main Uses and Performance
- Suitable for visual observation on most emission nebulae, planetary nebulae and supernova remnants.
- Suitable for color CCD cameras and modified DSLRs for astrophotography.
- Hubble look of images can be made by the combination of H-alpha, OIII-CCD and SII-CCD images, such as the famous "Pillars of Creation" (M16 Eagle Nebula).
C. Spectral Curve Transmission Characteristics
- 80% or better transmission at major O-III lines at 495.9nm and 500.7nm.
- 0.1% transmission of major transmission lines of artificial light pollution:
- Hg (Mercury) at 435.8nm, 546.1nm, 577nm, and 578.1nm.
- Na (Sodium) at 598nm, 589.6nm, 615.4nm, and 616.1nm.
- It also blocks out infrared wavelengths (700-1100nm) so a separate IR cut-off filter is not required for imaging applications.
D. Technical Specifications
- Both surfaces are fine optically polished, accurate to 1/4 wavelength or better, and parallel to within 30 seconds or arc.
- 2mm thick Schott B270 optical glass substrate material.
- Very high surface quality of 60/40 or better (US Military Spec MIL-O-13830).
E. Optical Coating Specifications
- Multi layer anti-reflection coated.
- Non-cementing optical substrate coating.
- Electron-beam gun evaporation with Ion-assisted deposition coating technology for durability and resistance to scratching, as well as stability on CWL (central wavelength) so that there is no deviation due to temperature changes during use.
- Precise and homogeneous coatings ensure high values of desired passband and blocking of unwanted offband.
- Every single filter is tested and passed by Optolong before shipping to dealers.
- 1.25" astronomy filter with standard M28.5x0.6 male filter thread (no female thread, so it cannot be stacked with other filters).
- Ultra-thin filter cell to minimize vignetting; clear optical aperture of 26mm.
- Precision CNC-machined metal filter cell with sand blasted black anodized finish, anti-reflection treatment, and laser engraving.
- High quality protective plastic storage case.
WARNING: Optolong filters are not designed for direct solar observation. NEVER use these filters for observing the Sun, or permanent eye and equipment damage will result.
Note: Occasionally, the product you receive might have a slightly different cosmetic appearance or labeling than what is shown. This can often change from batch to batch according to the whims of the manufacturer. However, you will always receive a brand new, original product as described above.
Description copyright: Agena AstroProducts - Reproduction without permission prohibited.
Back to Top
Filed under: Eyepieces & Accessories