ZWO ASI120MM-S 1.2 MP CMOS Monochrome Super Speed Astronomy Camera with USB 3.0
Description Ordering Info USA Shipping International Orders Returns Our eBay Store
1. PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
- 1.2 megapixel CMOS monochrome astronomy camera with 1280x960 resolution and 3.75 μm pixels with no fixed-pattern noise
- A single, affordable camera that's ideal for lunar, planetary, solar, and brighter deep-sky objects
- Fast USB 3.0 transfer at up to 60 fps at maximum resolution and 254 fps at minimum resolution
- Configurable with included 150-deg lens adapter for capturing all-sky images
- Attractive red anodized CNC aluminum body stands up to heavy field use
- Ready to go out of the box with cables, adapters, and manual; Software and drivers available from manufacturer's website
- Compact body with dimension 62mm diameter and 28mm length, and weight of only 100 g (3.5 oz)
- Enables color imaging with optional filter wheel
The ZWO ASI120MM-S is a sensitive and affordable monochrome astronomy camera with 1.2 megapixel resolution and super-fast USB 3.0 data transfer. This versatile camera captures images of the Moon, planets, and the Sun (with a proper solar filter), as well as brighter deep-sky objects. It also includes a wide-angle 150-degree lens that turns the ASI120MM-S into an all-sky camera that captures meteors, aurora, and the slow movement of the stars and planets across the sky during the night.
The heart of this monochrome camera is a 1/3" CMOS sensor with 1.2 megapixels (1280x960) with a quantum efficiency (QE) of 75% and no fixed-pattern noise. The pixels are 3.75 μm in size, small enough for imaging solar-system objects but large enough to capture fainter objects such as nebulae, galaxies, and star clusters. The camera enables exposure times of 64 μs to 1000 s (16.67 minutes).
The ASI120MM-S is the USB 3.0 version of the ASI120MM camera from ZWO, a Sky and Telescope Hot Product for 2014 which featured USB 2.0 data transfer. At full resolution of 1280x960, the faster ASI120MM-S can transfer images at 60 fps, twice as fast as USB 2.0. At reduced resolution, download rates up to 254 fps become possible. Such rates make it easier to produce high-quality images of solar system objects, especially quickly-rotating objects like Jupiter and Saturn when taking multiple monochrome images using a filter wheel. The camera also works seamlessly with USB 2.0 ports as necessary.
Many cameras in this price range have plastic housings, but the ASI120MM-S has a robust and attractive CNC machined red-anodized aluminum body that stands up to heavy field use. An IR-cut glass window protects the sensor and helps keep images sharp. A 1/4-20 thread in the bottom of the camera makes it easy to attach the device to a camera tripod or mount, and four M4 threads along the outside edge offer additional mounting options.
The camera also comes with a 2-meter USB 3.0 cable and a 2-meter ST4 guider cable for use in autoguiding, as well as a M42-threaded 1.25" nosepiece and a 1.25" cover.
This camera can be configured with the following connections for attachment to telescopes and imaging accessories:
- 1.25” nosepiece
- 2” nosepiece (optional 2” extension strongly recommended)
- Female T/T2 thread (M42x0.75)
- Female C/CS thread (1”x32TPI)
- Female M28.5x0.6 thread
ZWO is phasing out software CDs, but the ASI120MM-S astronomy camera comes with instructions to help you download the required control software and drivers directly from the ZWO website.
Camera Technical Details
- Sensor: 1/3″ CMOS MT9M034 (monochrome)
- Resolution: 1.2 megapixels 1280x960
- Pixel Size: 3.75 µm
- Exposure Range: 64µs-1000s
- ROI: Supported
- Interface: USB3.0/USB2.0
- Bit rate: 12bit output (12bit ADC)
- Telescope connection: 2" nosepiece / 1.25" nosepiece / M42X0.75 female T thread
- Dimension: φ62mm x 28mm
- Weight: 100g
- Working Temperature: -5°C to 45°C
- Storage Temperature: -20°C to 60°C
- Working Relative Humidity: 20% to 80%
- Storage Relative Humidity: 20% to 95%
*Tested under USB3.0 port without overclocking. There is an option to overclock 30% of the current fps.
What's in the Box
- ZWO ASI120MM-S monochrome 1.2 megapixel astronomy camera
- 150° lens for use as an all-sky camera
- M42-1.25" nosepiece
- 1.25" IR-cut window
- 2 m long USB cable
- 2 m long ST4 guider cable
- Instructions for downloading drivers and software from ZWO website
Manufacturer part number: ASI120MM-S
Product carries a 1 year manufacturer warranty against mechanical defects (within USA only).
Note: Occasionally, the product you receive might have a slightly different cosmetic appearance or labeling than what is shown. This can often change from batch to batch according to the whims of the manufacturer. However, you will always receive a brand new, original product as described above.
Description copyright: Agena AstroProducts - Reproduction without permission prohibited.
Back to Top
Filed under: Eyepieces & Accessories